When we think about it, simplicity and effectiveness are somewhat synonymous. The phrase “Less is More” does seem to come to mind at the intersection of these two words, doesn’t it? Anyway, the truth of the matter is that everyone has too little time in the day and become overwhelmed quite often.
When we look at leaders, their tasks and duties become multiplied, as compared to the rest of us, and so can the feelings of stress and of being overwhelmed. The key to not having to experience this is to simplify your life in a way that allows you to do more of the things you love and less of the things that you don’t. It is something much easier said than done, but not impossible nor that difficult.
The dominant traits that define any great leader that has ever existed are effectiveness, consistency, being in control, and being content. Whenever someone is being overwhelmed by their volume of work, they are probably missing some, if not all of these traits.
By simplifying your life and your activities, however, you can manage your work, increase your overall effectiveness, as well as your success as a leader. Below are six methods that can help you achieve these things.
The Six Methods to Increase Your Effectiveness
- The first thing you’ll need to do is to determine your real values and what’s most important to you. “What do I want from life?” Once this is established, set it as your highest goal and center everything else around it.
- Once you’ve concluded your highest goal in life, comprise a list of at least ten other, smaller but still highly important goals that you want to achieve over the following year. After you’ve completed that, ask yourself which of them would have the most positive impact on your life, if it happened tomorrow.
- Take that goal and make it your purpose. Comprise a list of everything you can think of that will help you achieve it as fast as possible. Then, organize that list by importance and immediately begin to make it happen.
- For things to run smoothly, you will also need to get your life in balance. The key to achieving this is to make sure that your activities completely align with your values and what’s most important to you. When people do not feel happy, satisfied, or content, it’s probably because their current actions are not helping them achieve those goals values. They are, in a sense, time wasters that decrease your overall effectiveness.
- As a general rule of thumb, it’s best to put your relationships at the top of the list. Take a moment to consider who are the most important people in your life and put everything else below them.
- Lastly, but equally as important as everything else is to be mindful of your physical health. It is probably the best place to start as a way to simplify your life. Eat less but better. Try cooking your food with friends and family, instead of eating out or ordering in. Don’t neglect your doctor appointments. Get regular exercise and make a habit of it. Over time, the body’s tissues will wear down. It’s through physical activity and healthy food that you can keep them in shape and continually renewing themselves at a cellular level.
Simplifying one’s life ultimately boils down to the Three D’s, Discipline, Diligence, and Determination. By following these six steps presented here, you will be well on your way in increasing your effectiveness and leading a healthy, happy, and fulfilling life. But if you find yourself having difficulty in understanding or following any of these steps, don’t be worried. I believe I can help, so let’s connect on http://meetme.so/GregNichvalodoff or firstname.lastname@example.org